Halloween is right around the corner. This is an exciting night for everyone! Dressing up, trick or treating haunted houses, and most importantly what we all love the most… free candy. Now even though many of us love filling ourselves up with plenty of different types of candies on Halloween, our teeth don’t enjoy the experience as much.
Too much sugar on your teeth can result in plaque build up, and therefore result in cavities. In order to avoid cavities, and still be able to enjoy Halloween, here are some helpful tips to keep in mind!
-The best time to enjoy your sugary treats is at the END of a meal. This allows for there to be plenty of saliva in your mouth, which helps for the sugar to be washed away.
– Limit the number of treats you eat- especially in one sitting or in a day. Enjoy a few, but having too much will have an impact on your teeth.
– Try to avoid candies that are soft and sticky. These tend to get stuck in between your teeth.
– Other candies to avoid are sour ones as they contain acids and very hard ones as they can chip your teeth.
– Drink plenty of water after eating your treats. This helps to wash away the sugar and acids.
– Brush your teeth after eating candy! Don’t forget to brush and floss, in the morning and at night too!
– If you have braces make sure to avoid chewy/sticky treats, popcorn, or any hard candies.
More tips about healthy smiles during Halloween: