Many of us fear going to the dentist. Statistics show that one out of four people does not simply fear to go to the dentist, but dread the entire experience. There are 5-8 % of people that avoid the dentist due to the fear of going to the dentist! For many, it is not an enjoyable experience, but fortunately, there are tips that can make the trip an ease.
Here’s some advice to overcome the fear of going to the dentist, and to make your future trip worry-free.
– Find a dentist that suits you, and is understanding. Get your know your dentist.
– Share your fear of going to the dentist to the dentist so that he/she knows, and will do their best to accommodate your needs. For example, the dentist and yourself can come up with a hand signal that will allow the dentist to know that you want them to stop in order to give yourself a break. This will allow you to feel more in control, and more at ease.
– Bring a friend or family member with you! They can accompany you and help you with your fear of going to the dentist.
– Pick an early appointment time. This will allow you to get your appointment out of your way first thing in the morning.
– Start your first visit with a simple appointment, such as a cleaning. Work your way up with longer procedures once you feel comfortable with the dentist, and the environment.
– Get to know the rest of the staff in the office to familiarize yourself with the environment.
– Listen to music during your appointment to distract you from the procedure.
– Don’t be afraid to ask the dentist any questions that you may have. Familiarize yourself with the procedure.
– Relax yourself with breathing techniques. Take big breathes in and out.
Here at Florence Dentistry we understand the fear of going to the dentist. Come make an appointment, and get to know our staff. We will be more than happy to answer any questions, accommodate any needs, and to erase your fear of going to the dentist!
Here are some more tips to overcome the fear of going to the dentist :